The art of relaxation

Hey.. do you know how to relax?

The other day, I went for dental check up. Root canal treatment is one of the "not very nice" experiences in my life. I totally hate it. Especially, when I don't know how to relax my tongue. You may think this is funny. But to master the art of relaxing is not that easy. Apparently, when you are not relax, you produce more saliva …and it make it more difficult the perform the procedure. My dentist keeps on saying.. “relax, relax, you are not relax. stop thinking about your tongue. think of something else, like imagine you are somewhere having vacation.” Look.. I'm not thinking about my tongue, as much as I want to go for a vacation now, I wish I am in Cape Town by the Waterfront reading my magazine and sipping a cuppa... while "people watching"....but here I am on the "not everyone's fav chair" trying my best to find a focus point. 


Am I that bad?
My yoga teacher always reminds me to relax my shoulder. 
Am I that tense?

So i went to 'google' and search for 'the art of relaxation' and this is one of my fav from here.

22 Ways to practice the art of relaxation...Here are some tips to get you started... 

1. Take frequent naps. I’m convinced that naps are the key to a happy life. 

2. Listen to your body. How many of you actually listen to your body? Do you slow down when you get tired or become ill? Or do you keep going into the office and working long hours?

3. Snuggle up on the couch, with a blanket, and be still.

4. Spend time with your pet. Numerous studies have show that spending time with a pet is relaxing, fun, and can lower your stress level.

5. Practice deep breathing and meditation.

6. Give hugs. Hug your friends, family members and partner. Hugging more often not only increases happiness but makes us happier.

7. Cook a healthy meal at home. Savor your time in the kitchen by making a simple healthy meal. Use simple ingredients like whole grains, vegetables and fruits in your dish.

8. Ask your partner to give you a massage.

9. Take a dancing class with your partner.

10. Participate in activities or hobbies that relax you. What are your favorite hobbies? Do you like going for long runs or slow leisurely walks?

11. Smile and laugh. Have fun and learn to smile and laugh more. If you have trouble laughing, look into laughing yoga.

12. Listen to calming music. It really does help!

13. Observe your surroundings. If your home is loud, find a quiet place to cultivate laziness. Bring a blanket to the park and observe your surroundings.

14. Take a long hot bath.

15. Read a good book. There is nothing more powerful and relaxing than getting lost in the power of a good story.

16. Imagine a personal paradise.

17. Learn to prioritize your tasks. By prioritizing your tasks, you’ll have more time to relax and do what you love in your down time.

18. Go on a slow meditative walk.

19. Take a long, leisurely bike ride.

20. Hit snooze. Rather than jumping out of bed in the morning, slowly wake up. Allow yourself an extra half hour to doze on and off. Hitting the snooze button a few times isn’t a bad thing.

21. Exercise everyday. Take time out of your busy routine and take a long walk, run or bike ride. It’s amazing how much exercise can help reduce levels of stress.

22. Do less. Learning to relax doesn’t have to be so complicated. We just have to do less and make the time for self-care.


How about you? Tell me, how do you relax.. your muscle, your mind, your body, your soul... and your tongue. 

Happy practicing the art of relaxation people!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly dose @ PS Cafe (Singapore)

A new beginning

Finally.. A tick for Istanbul